Friday, June 14, 2013

Lightning-quick post, with new extra lightning quickness

So, there have been a... lot of things happening, which at the same time make it hard to find time to do a blog post and also important to do so.

As a lot of people know, it's been a pretty active time for SFWA. At the moment I'm getting lots of e-mails around the @SFWAAuthors Twitter account, which is good: if you're an SFWA member (or even if you're not) and you want your voice to be heard, please e-mail me and the rest of the Board. Because the matter is still under consideration I can't really say much more about it right now, other than to say that before too long my position on it, both as a Board member and a member of SFWA, will be clearly and unambiguously stated.

Two other bits of news, somewhat more cheerful: first, "The Last Islander" has been selected as the anchor story of Imaginarium 2013: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing. I thought this story was a bit overlooked when it came out (relative to my other stories, that is; I'll let other people decide how it rates in terms of short stories in general) so it's nice to see it get a second chance. Second, I've sold my almost-novella "Rules of Engagement" to Asimov's Science Fiction. It's a pretty nifty bit of near-future SF, if I do say so myself, with guns and drones and neural implants and all the action that "The Last Islander" and "Holdfast" didn't have, and then some. I'm not sure when it's coming out yet, but the contract arrived a week after I got the acceptance which may mean it'll be gracing shelves and ereaders soon.

Lightning, away!

No comments: