Friday, March 06, 2009

Danes are good sports...

My story "The Coldest War," about a future war between Canada and Denmark, will be translated for publication in the long-running Danish SF magazine Proxima. What they'll make of references to Tim Horton's and Robertson Davies I don't know. (Make your own damn "Danish" pun here.)

In related news, Gardner Dozois had kind words for "The Coldest War" in the latest Locus. "Matthew Johnson's 'The Coldest War' is a tense story of two soldiers (or are there two?) playing a deadly cat-and-mouse game on an isolated arctic island during a renewed cold war between Canada and Denmark." Damnit, no pull quote, though! Curse these novice reviewers... (Do I really need a smiley here?)

Matthew

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't worry - the Deptford Trilogy is translated into Danish, so we can refer to it; it may have to be spelled out as Robertson Davies' Deptford Trilogy, though. And I've been to Canada, so I've had my fair share of Tim Hortons doughnuts. It will all go down as 'Canadian local colour' ...

best, Stig W. Jørgensen (prospective Danish translator of 'The Coldest War')